Watermelon Rind Stir Fry
Next time you buy a whole watermelon, reserve the watermelon rind for this ingenious recipe! The rind will soften and quickly absorb the flavor of your sauce. Add shrimp, tofu or chicken for an extra protein boost!
- 2 cups watermelon rind, julienned (white part only, from about 1/2 of a seedless watermelon)
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chives, cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- serving crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat sesame oil in a wok over high heat. Add the watermelon rind and carrots and stir fry, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes. Let sit over high heat for 1 additional minute without stirring.
- Add the chives and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, fish sauce, garlic and ginger.
- Pour the sauce over the watermelon rind and cook, stirring, 30 seconds to 1 minute until fragrant.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Add the basil, cilantro, and mint, tossing to combine.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if desired, and serve as a side dish.